Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Man, The Myth, The Legend

Ladies and Gentleman, my celebrity sighting of the week, potential Spotlight business client, and now my good friend……Mr. Don King

Every year, my office hosts a group of clients in New York in a suite at the US Open for the Men’s Semi-Finals. I have planned the event for the past two years and it’s always a blast! Last year, I rode in the same elevator with Catherine Zeta Jones and Michael Douglass. You could tell they were trying to go “un-noticed” so I didn’t bother them for a picture or autograph. I didn’t want to be one of those “celebrity stalkers”….and I have regretted that decision for the past 12 months.

This year was a different story…..not only did I run into Don King, but I asked for his picture…AND gave him my Spotlight business card! We struck up a conversation about Texas politics (note: He is a HUGE Republican fundraiser) and I also mentioned that I worked with former Secretary of State Roger Williams…one of his good friends. On that note, he grabbed his cell phone and started to call him personally….to let him know we were hanging out….oh man…heart racing…please don’t pick up! What if he doesn’t remember me? Ha ha. Luckily, he had the wrong number! Phew. I told him that I could track down his new number and email it to him….which resulted in several entourage members handing me business cards. Nice.

He was in the Nike suite at the US Open. We was partnering with them on an event called “Grapple in the Apple” for the chance that Nadal and Federer played against each other in the finals….both are represented by Nike. Unfortunately, Nadal lost in the semi’s so his event was cancelled. By the time we stopped talking..…I was in his suite…..had received a “Grapple in the Apple” XXXL event tshirt….AND physically bumped into Charleze Theron…also in the Nike suite. Sunday was a good day!

So folks….sorry to cut this blog post short, but I have an important email to draft…..and an important phone number to track down…..how do I get myself into these situations?!?!

More pictures and stories to come….

No comments:

Post a Comment